Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WIP Wednesday, dyeing to be me

Oddly, I wasn't as off-track as I thought I was. I just didn't know so I felt *a bit* down about it. Did you notice?

Back to the good stuff: I dyed. As it's mom's birthday soon, I figured I'd use my awesome spinning skills (spin thin, ply, awesome, right?) for a special gift this year. So on Saturday we set up the kitchen and I prepared some food dye while mom played around with colouring pens. Together we dyed half of my stash of white Shetland top in two sittings. The first came out a bit... light

White with a hint of colour



So I put a lot more dye on the second try. It worked!

With all of that coloured goodness drying, it was time to get the brown Icelandic off the bobbins. So I finished it in one sitting that evening. If only you set your mind to it, apparently, you can get things done.

On Sunday, I spun the lightest top and it just screamed out its name. Now since it's still a gift I'm not showing you the bobbin up close, that'll just have to wait. You will have to take my word for it, if ever I've seen spun sugar on a bobbin, this is it, so that's what it will be.

Suikerspin, brown Icelandic and the remains of skein #2 of the Secret Project

In other news, I'm not fixing O.W.L.S.. Apparently, it doesn't want to be fixed or it would've been by now. Instead, I'm frogging back to where it went wrong. It's such a fast knit, I might even get some more use out of it this winter. We had a small (short?) flurry of snow today and I've been freezing my butt off this weekend. Spring isn't here yet...

Tonight I'm spinning some more, knitting a bit and sleeping early, as I'm off to the Handwerkbeurs (craft fair) in Zwolle on Friday! This means a 2 hr drive there and back, in Friday traffic. I better be rested...

No comments: