Wednesday, March 16, 2011

WIP Wednesday, on a positive note

Since my last post, nothing much has changed in the Tokyo-having-my-brother-in-it situation. He is now with his boss and some others from work, and even though they briefly toyed with the idea of leaving, they haven't and won't if things stay the same.

I know a lot of people have left, and I am glad for them and their loved ones at home (quick wave to Annie Bee's sister, who is about to touch down). I understand that enough is enough and you just want to get home. However this is not something I want for my brother, who has really come into his own during the last few days. Starting out panicky on the phone during the weekend, he gave a sublimely down to earth interview on the Wereldomroep, a Dutch radio station that broadcasts worldwide. He gets that from me, by the way. Ahem. I think we're all clear on one thing: if he were to flee now, it would be very difficult to return. The risk of an earthquake is always there in Tokyo, nothing has changed that, even with the nasty powerstation-thing. No, he's made a decision which wasn't the easiest one, but the best one for him.

If I were a sentimental person I would start a weepy story about how proud I am of my little brother, but I'm not (a sentimental person, proud I very much am). This is WIP Wednesday after all!

Unfortunately, I have nothing to show you!
Peaks Island only needs a few ends tucked in, and the secret knitting is blocked and ready to be written up. It's still a secret, so no pictures yet!

I've started and am about to frog what I knit of a silky scarf, because I'm still not quite liking the cast on yet. It has Estonian flowers and shiny beads though. I have a few bad pictures on my phone, but for some reason they won't find their way unto this blog. It will have to hold... and either way, it's about to be frogged.

So instead, for your delectation and delight, some happy pictures of a happy place.

SCOTLAND, I WILL BE IN YOU ONE DAY!






So now that you've looked at the pretty pictures, tell me, have you donated yet?

1 comment:

Anniebeeknits said...

Aww, thanks for the shout-out to my sister! I'm happy to report that she, her fiance, and his brother are all safely home in Canada now, at least for a couple of weeks. The first thing she said to me? "Hug me, I'm radioactive!" (I want to know if I'll get superpowers now...)

I made my donation to the Red Cross on Friday, but I'll likely donate again after I get my next paycheque. Plus, my sister and her students in Japan are trying to decide what to do to raise funds, while their school is closed - whatever they do, I'm sure I'll be supporting them in it. They raised over $700 for the World Wildlife Fund last year by making friendship bracelets, so they're old hands at fund-raising!