Saturday, June 20, 2009

Birds and Bees

I saved a bee today, have you?

It seems like almost every morning this past week, we've found an exhausted bee in our living room. I suppose now that the weather is pretending to be alright-ish for what we try to call summer (jeans and sweater, anyone?) we have the patio doors open a lot more than usual. If these bees get trapped inside, they're out of luck since we don't have (m)any flowering plants inside apart from one orchid. By the time I get ready to go to work, the trapped bee must be getting hungry or something, but by the time I find them, there's hardly any life left in them.

My experiment with sugar water and a bee on a dish probably went wrong a bit as the bee insisted on turning onto its back and therefore getting its wings wet. I think it's a very difficult thing to fly away with wet wings, but then again, I'm no bee and I can't fly even if I tried.

This afternoon we found another one on the floor in the living room, so I lifted it onto a scrap of paper and took it outside. Since nothing much is flowering with big flowers in our garden at them moment I didn't have a bee-buffet waiting, but we managed to make do with what we had. Mr Bee seemed to enjoy it anyway.





Just as I went back inside and closed the door, Mrs Mus flew in and checked out the area before flying straight into the hedge, where she lives.



All in all, not a bad afternoon in an urban garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! you did a fantastic job.
I love to save bees.
sam

free satellite TV

Anonymous said...

Really you did a great job!

sam

free satellite TV