Wednesday, March 21, 2012

WIP Wednesday: I Spy....

...with my little eye... something Blue...

Looking at my wardrobe, most of my handmade and bought shawls and most of my current projects, 'something blue' could be anything! Even the sky promises to be blue for a few more days at least, so the Spring sun gets plenty of airtime... I suspect we'll need to have a bit of rain at some point, or we'll get all of it on my days off I'm sure. 

Some sad news this week. Do you remember Tanit's Jacket, and how it was taking me to get anywhere? Last time you saw it, it looked exactly like this


If you remember the jacket, and have any clue about making anything by hand (crafting, cooking, you name it) you know that feeling. The feeling of a tiny little thought in the back of your head, getting louder only ever so slowly until at last, you can't ignore it any longer. You've checked, double checked, triple checked and checked all over again, until you can't deceive yourself any longer. 

In the case of the Tragic Tanit's Jacket the thought was thus: the button hole is on the wrong side...
I checked if I read the instructions wrong,* I checked for errata on the pattern website,** I turned and turned the WIP around and around to match the pictures on the pattern. I asked Mom. She told me I was right. I found others who knit the same jacket on Ravelry. At least one of them mentions the button holes being on the wrong side. I now know I'm not alone in either reading the pattern wrong or noticing the pattern is in fact wrong.

I frogged, and I frogged, and I frogged 4 balls of yarn. 



I guess there's a good side to all this frogging. I was wondering if I had chosen a size too large to start with, since I didn't do a great deal of gauge-getting, so now I'm knitting it a size smaller. If nothing else, there will be fewer stitches.

To make up for it (and because I really wanted something else on the bobbin), I spun, and spun, and spun and spun some more. You think you buy 100 grams of the stuff, but there's no end to a braid of Tardis fibre. I shouldn't be surprised, really. 


Here are the two full bobbins together. Now all I have to do is spin another 100 grams of white merino/nylon mix to make the third ply for this supposed sock yarn. 


Before I do that though, I get to do some selfish spinning. I love making for others, but sometimes, it's time for Me! Me! Me!

So when I got Tardis spun up, I quickly settled in to prep the latest instalment of Dutch Wool Diva in the colourway Sound of Music. I decided on very short and irregular colour changes, so I divided the braid into lots of narrow pieces.


I intend to ply it with some unknown fibre on a cone which I got a few years ago. I can't seem to find a cone with a label on it, but I'll try a bit before committing to it. I just thought they matched so well together!


I seem to fly through the little balls of fluff, so I expect it to be finished a lot quicker than most things I've spun this year. 


Finally, last week's budding leaf has grown into this already! It truly isn't winter any longer, the equinox was yesterday and people are still dumping rubbish amongst the daffodils. Not everything changes...

Keep knitting, touch wool!


*I didn't
**there weren't any

No comments: